This simple Lemon Cake Recipe has the perfect amount of lemon flavour to home in on those summer vibes !! It makes the perfect dessert for those summer evenings..
This simple recipe is perfect for beginners or those who only have 10 minutes to whip something up ! The lemon sponge is light and moist and the Lemon drizzle adds that little bit of sweetness !!
What you will need :
- 1½ large eggs
- 87.5g (3 oz) self-raising flour
- 87.5g (3 oz) caster sugar
- 87.5g (3 oz) softened butter
- ¾ level tsp baking powder
- Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- 50g (2 oz) granulated sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- loaf tin or Cake tin greased and lined
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas 4.
- Beat together the eggs, flour, caster sugar, butter, baking powder and lemon zest until smooth in a large mixing bowl and turn into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 35 mins, or until golden brown, shrinking away from the sides of the tin and springy to the touch.
- While the cake is still warm, make the lemon drizzle topping. Mix together the sugar and lemon juice, and pour over the warm cake.
- Leave to cool and loosen the sides of the cake, then lift the cake out of the tin.
- For the drizzle , squeeze the juice of 2 lemons into a bowl add icing sugar until a runny paste forms , drizzle on top of the cake and add a slice of lemon for decoration.
Make yourself a cup of tea and cut a slice of cake and enjoy !!